Planting A Seed






I was scrolling through Face Book today and read something that has stuck with me all day long. " You cannot force someone to comprehend a message that they are not ready to receive. Still, you must never underestimate the power of planting a seed." This statement brought up so many memories for me in my personal relationship with Jesus.

I was taken back to a little room in children's church at the Grace Place in Stuart, FL. I was about 8 or 9 year old. I remember hearing if anyone wants to come to the altar and accept Jesus into their heart they could make their way down to the front. I could feel how my heart beat quickened and my palms got sweaty. I remember shy little Kristine standing up and taking that walk. I remember the urgency I felt like I couldn't get there fast enough. I tripped over my own two feet most of the time, but today my foot steps were sure and they knew just where I needed and wanted to be.

Fast forward to a pool at one of our church member's homes and Pastor Rick and I wading into the water. The moment that I went down under the water and came back up. That fresh burst of air and the feeling that I was this new person and that everything that had happened in my past was gone and that I had a brand new start.

It seems like forever ago that I was that child worshipping at my Father's feet. Open to all he had to offer me. No questions asked. Now I am facing being a thirty year old who has outgrown that simple, trusting faith. I've lived life, become a parent, faced insurmountable odds and experienced incredible betrayals and heartbreaks. Yet, a part of my soul yearns for that little girl. If I could go back knowing what I know now.... But, you see God knew just where I would go and what I would do. Have I followed his plan for my life? I say No, however, I can say that no matter how many times my feet have taken me into troubled waters away from God and his plan He still loves me and calls my name.


Twenty-two years ago I was saved and baptized. I was made a new creation in Jesus Christ and I was saved by His grace alone. It's taken me a long time to really truly understand what that means. I still struggle thinking that if I were God I would throw me away. I've made so many mistakes. I have turned my back on Him. There were years of my life that I even despised thinking about God. I was so angry and hurt at the things that had happened in my life. I didn't want any part of it.

Then in 2010, I started working at a prison in Franklin County, Florida and there I met a remarkable woman. She was a pastor's wife and I can remember learning that before she started working with us. I was so negative. I didn't want anything to do with any "Bible-thumping" "Judgy" "Do-gooder." Man, was I so wrong. One thing I can say about this woman is that she loves the Lord. She has served him for years in her church, on the mission field and she served him in the purpose of planting a seed that I needed at that time in my life.

She never once invited me to her church. I was so ready for the invite to come. I had mentally prepared myself to be able to politely (wink, wink) decline whatever she offered. I wanted nothing to do with church. Somehow she knew that I would decline, so the offer never did come. What she did do was tell me about all the things they had going on at church. She would share stories of their Free Fire Dance Ministry. She talked of the black light puppets, and the mimes. She shared experiences from the ladies group and different events they went to. I can remember sitting at my work computer thinking goodness that sounds kind of fun. One morning after a long shift I decided to go check her church out. Lord knows he was in that house that day, I felt a spark of that inner child from so long ago ignite.

I wish I could say that I stayed the course and met the mark from that day on. Nonetheless, even in my imperfections God is not finished with me yet. It was during that time that I felt the call to ministry in some way. I enrolled in school for Biblical studies. I wanted to go to Peru on the mission field. I had so many grand plans for my new life. I felt unstoppable. I felt that there was nothing that could tear me away from serving God completely and thoroughly. Boy was I mistaken.

Fast forward seven years and I've done none of the things I felt called so long ago to do.

I have become a Mother to three awesome kids. I am also expecting a baby in July. I've moved around to different places. Been engaged twice. Experienced a miscarriage and domestic violence. I have experienced fear in its truest form, but still God called out my name.

I say all of that to say this, there were moments in my life that I wasn't open to any message that God had for me. But, He knew that all it took was a carefully planted seed to take root and grow. He knew exactly where to meet me at in my brokenness, in my disappointments, in my fear and in my failures. He has never left me nor forsaken me. (Deuteronomy 31:8)

If God could pull me up out of the pit I have lived in over the years. He can do the same for you. He can do it for those that you love and care for. God's timing is never late. He works things out in His time.

Love in Christ,

Kristine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Pink Tornado"

"Like A Moth to A Flame"