Have Joy, Even when the going is tough.

James 1:2-4  Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. NLT

    Consider it joy to go through problems and hardships?  I can't say that I have ever really felt joyful about going through a problem.  Have you?  Our first instincts  are to get angry and upset.  We go and throw woe is me pity parties.  Then after a little while we ask for God's help.  Of course, with the "Why, God, Why?" mentality.  Why do I have to suffer through this? I paid my tithes, I gave my offerings, I pray everyday, I go to church on Wednesdays and Sundays, I help out in nursery.  I collect money for missions and charities.  God Why me?  Why not that other person.  The one who doesn't even love you or know you.  That person who comes to church when they feel like it but still lives in the world.  Why can't they have all these problems?

    James wrote this as part of a letter to the Jewish Christians outside of Palestine.  He didn't write this to the unbelievers, or to the people that didn't know Jesus.  He wrote this to his brothers and sisters in Christ.  Obviously, back then they had problems too.  Obviously being a Christian back then was not an easy road to follow either.  James wanted his brothers and sisters to know how a Christian life should be lived.  He said we should have JOY in our trials and tribulations.  We should have JOY when things go wrong.  We should have joy and praise God through every storm in our life.

    James says that the testing of our faith develops perseverance.  How can we get strength or courage or wisdom if we never go through anything in life to develop those characteristics?  We pray God give me strength.  God give me courage.  God give me this or that.   But, when he answers us and we go through trying times.  Instead of seeing that this is God strengthening us or God giving us courage we look at it as a punishment.  We want someone else to take our yoke.  We want to give over our problems to the people in this world that "We" believe deserve what we are going through.
    
    In order to be a better person, to walk stronger in Christ, we have to go through the problems that living in the world brings us.  I've heard that you never appreciate something good unless you have had something bad.  A lot of times this is applied to relationships.  But what if we apply it to everyday issues.  How can we appreciate the blessings of God or His glory if we never know what its like to have a bad day?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Pink Tornado"

"Like A Moth to A Flame"