Can I Do it Alone?

               
                 I have hardly slept in the last few weeks.  It seems that each day that my discontentment is growing.  I seem to find fault with everything being done around me and even more in myself.  If I look at it biblically, I have no reason to be discontented.  I have food, I have clothing, I have shelter, and I have a job that pays most of my bills.  I have so much that others would be happy to have and yet, I still feel as if something is missing.
                Contentment is defined as being free from care because of satisfaction with what is already one’s own.  It also is defined as being at rest.  It is the ability to make easy in any situation.  I have tried to figure out what has made me feel so discombobulated of late.  Looking at my list, I should be above and beyond happy.  But, the fact is, I am not.  So, today my goal is to strengthen myself with God’s unfailing word to ease my discontentment with life. 
                One of the definitions of contentment really bounced out at me.  That was “Being at rest.”  If I was truly at rest in the Lord, then I would be content with whatever life throws at me.  How do you rest in the Lord?
                Matthew 11:28 says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”  Verses 29 and 30 say, “Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” 
“Come to me…..and I will give you rest……..for your souls.  Hey, I don’t know about ya’ll but I am definitely signing up for that.  I want backstage passes, too. 
                What did Jesus mean by taking His yoke?  The first thing that popped into my mind was a yoke that they put on oxen.  I was thinking, “How is that easier than what I am already going through?  I don’t think I could handle any more pressure than I already have.”   A yoke symbolizes subjection and servitude.  It is also a symbol for bondage.  So If I already have a worldly yoke.  How can I bear to take up Jesus’ yoke?  You see we enslave ourselves in a worldly yoke.  A yoke that is heavy, filled with all our sins, and filled with the weariness in the search for God.
                  Imagine a team of oxen; they are carrying a cart full of heavy things.  Then imagine that you are the only ox.  You are the only one pulling the cargo.  It has been raining for days and the road is slippery and muddy.  No matter how hard you pull, you go nowhere and you slip in the mud and fall down; the weight crushing you more and more. 
                Jesus doesn’t want us to have that burden anymore, so he has offered to share his yoke with us.  He will shoulder the bigger weights of our cargo and never leave you to carry anything by yourself again.  He doesn’t say that we won’t still have to work hard in life.  He just says that He can offer us something bigger and better in return for sharing His yoke.  He will give us peace, love, healing, and a relationship with God that turns all our meaningless labor into something fruitful. 
                How can I be discontent after learning this?  I see a reason to smile now.  God knows what I am going through and His Son is there to share my burdens.  He is there to give rest to my soul.  And believe you me; my soul is ready for a good rest.  As a matter of fact, my eyes are, too. 
Love in Christ,
Kristine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Pink Tornado"

"Like A Moth to A Flame"